INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – There’s new legal action in the case of an arrest at the JW Marriott.
This is an exclusive investigation our I-Team 8′s Karen Hensel broke last year.
The latest lawsuit is filed against the city of Indianapolis and IMPD Officer Michael Wilson. It offers new details on two men in town for a convention and why a video shows after just 16 seconds on scene, an IMPD officer throws one of them to the ground.
An IMPD officer was called to a dispute in the lobby of the JW Marriott in September 2012. One man is 60-year-old Brian Hudkins, a business owner in town for a convention. The other is his employee, Andrew Davis. They’re talking to the officer and hotel security after the hotel overbooked, rented their rooms and moved their things.
Just 16 seconds after the grey haired man came into the discussion with hands behind his back, he’s thrown to the ground.
ONLINE EXTRA | Watch the hotel video
I-Team 8 took the issue last year to Chief Rick Hite.
“When asked if it looked like excessive force,” Hite says, “it looks like force was used. We’ll have to get to the bottom of why it was used, under what condition it was used, was there a verbal exchange. I want to hear all of that.”
The business owner filed a lawsuit months ago. Now his employee, Davis, has filed a second lawsuit in the case. Davis pulled out a cell phone and started recording.
When Wilson saw it, he told Davis “stop and get on the floor” or he would use a stun gun on him.
According to the lawsuit, another female officer on the scene indicated she did not understand why Davis was being arrested. When Davis asked her to step in, she responded “it’s too late.”
Davis claims excessive force over threats of the stun gun, malicious prosecution and negligence.
The exclusive investigation into those 16 seconds inside the JW Marriott where Hudkins was cuffed and thrown to the ground a second time at the squad car continues.
IMPD said Wednesday that Wilson is still on administrative duty pending the investigation.