Large fire destroys home, buildings

Oaktown fire (Provided Photo/ WTHI)
Oaktown fire (Provided Photo/ WTHI)

OAKTOWN, Ind. (WTHI) – Flames took over a farm packing shed and then the house next to it on Saturday morning just southwest of Oaktown.

The fire started a little after 10 a.m. Saturday at 1100 257 N. Texas Gas Road in Knox County.

Our sister station WTHI reports the buildings are owned by Chris Hall. Hall used the building for his wood pack recycling business.

Hall also alerted fire crews of chemicals inside the buildings including anhydrous ammonia.

Chemicals leaked from their containers during the fire, but crews were able to contain any chemical problems. There was never an official evacuation from fire crews.

“There was a stack of wooden pallets on the outside of the building that was on fire. The pallets got into the building up into the attic area,” said Oaktown Fire Department Chief, Stephen Hobbs. “The wind and being out in the country with not hydrants available hampered us tremendously. We were close to getting it knocked out then the wind shifted and we didn’t stand a chance.”

The house and the buildings are a complete loss.

blog comments powered by Disqus