Candle left burning leads to house fire

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Fire officials say a candle that was left burning caused a house fire in Fountain Square on Thursday morning.

Firefighters responded to a home in the 900 block of Lexington Avenue shortly before 6 a.m. According to a release, a woman said she had a candle burning next to the bed, and when she woke up, she saw fire.

Officials say the woman attempted to put the fire out, but was unable to because of the smoke. She alerted another individual in the home, and both got out of the house.

Crews with the Indianapolis Fire Department arrived and were able to put the fire out within 25 minutes. One woman inside of the home was taken to the hospital for medical evaluation.

Firefighters would like to remind the public to never leave a burning candle unattended for any reason. If you have a fire, exit the structure immediately and call 911–never try to extinguish the fire on your own.

Damages to the home are estimated at $45,000. Victims Assistance was called for both residents.

blog comments powered by Disqus