INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – 24-Hour News 8’s Walter Allen talked with one of the heroes who pulled a man out of a burning house Saturday. Remarkably, it is not the first time the man has been a hero.
Nathan Burch was popular for all the wrong reasons Saturday afternoon in the eyes of Firefighters, 911 operators and more importantly his wife.
“All the firefighters there said, ‘hey, good job getting that guy out but dot ever do that again’ and that it was pretty stupid. I think if you ask the homeowner, he would say differently. It felt like there was nothing lost, only to gain from it you know? I hope he makes it,” Burch said.
Nathan was dropping off a coworker when they noticed smoke coming from the home in Wayne Township. He wanted to make sure everyone made it out OK – but they didn’t.
“He was passed out, face down, on the ground and he was in rough condition,” Burch explained.
Burch and Michael Wilson were able to help by grabbing the man and pulling him out.
“He didn’t have his eyes open, but you could see it in his face that he was dying. When he got outside, it was like it was reversing. It was like instead of on his way to death, he was coming back to life,” He said.
The man was rushed to the hospital in serious condition. Sunday, fire officials announced the fire was sparked by a space heater.
Nathan had some serious questions to answer when he got home to his wife and 15-month-old baby girl.
“I had to do it. I would hope that some one would do the same if I were at work and something like that happened to my family.”
This is not the first time Burch has saved the life of another person.
In 2004, a fire broke out at a home around the corner from his parents house. In that fire, he saved a 1-month-old baby and her mother. He was inducted into the Red Cross Hall of Fame back in 2004 for saving those two in that fire.