Heather Tallman, Basilmomma offers a some healthy options for your family. Because it is heart awareness month and we all need a boost of good AND healthy food from Heart Healthy Blueberry Crisp to Honey Lime Salmon.
Honey Lime Salmon:
juice of 1 lime
zest of 1 lime
2 TB honey
1/4 C chopped cilantro
1/4 C low sodium soy sauce
4 3 oz filets of Salmon with skin on
salt and pepper to taste
Add all ingredients to a large resealable bag and marinate for 15-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Remove coated fillets and place in a saute pan set to medium-high heat-skin side up.
Season with a pinch of salt/fresh pepper.
Cook skin side up for 4 minutes.
Carefully flip and cook, skin side down, for 3 minutes-or until firm to the touch.
Remove carefully and flake over salad, greens or a fruity couscous.
Couscous with Fruit
Adapted from Eating Well Magazine
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
freshly ground pepper-to taste
2 cups cooked whole-wheat couscous (or sub any other healthy cooked grain)
1 cup chopped nectarine or peach
1 cup mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries and raspberries
2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
Whisk oil, orange juice, vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cooked couscous, nectarines, berries and almonds; gently toss to combine.
In the second segment I will be sharing the above tips and a quick and easy fresh from the oven blueberry crisp. What to remember when eating a heart healthy dessert: avoid rich creams, butters, too-sweet and sugary. Stick with dark chocolates, berries, nuts, honey in addition to pure dairy in moderation.
Heart Healthy Blueberry Crisp
• 6 cups blueberries
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup regular oats
• 2 Tb milled flax seed
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 4 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter cut into small pieces
• Preheat oven to 375°.
• Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl.
• Pour into a prepared rectangular baking dish.
• Combine remaining flour, brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon, and cut in the butter with a pastry blender or butter knives until crumbly.
• Sprinkle over the blueberry mixture.
• Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.