INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — One of the suspects accused of setting a house explosion at Richmond Hill is asking prosecutors to turn over new evidence in her ex-boyfriend’s alleged jailhouse murder-for-hire plot.
Monserrate Shirley, Mark Leonard and Bob Leonard, Jr. each face more than 50 charges in connection to the deadly 2012 blast.
Mark Leonard also faces a conspiracy to commit murder charge for attempting to have a witness in the case killed from behind bars. Prosecutors say Leonard attempted to hire an undercover Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agent, who was posing as a hit man. That agent had “several recorded telephone conversations with Leonard about having the witness killed, how to do it, payment therefore and how it would vindicate Leonard,” according to court documents.
Now, in a separate filing made to the court late last week, Shirley’s attorneys want to know if Leonard also mentioned her in any way during those conversations with the undercover agent, and — if so — what he said. They’ve asked a judge to order prosecutors to turn over any documents from the case referencing her.
Judge Sheila Carlisle gave prosecutors until Friday to respond to that request. Her ruling on it is expected later this month.
In a separate filing late last week, Shirley’s attorneys told Carlisle that they won’t be ready for trial until prosecutors turn over additional forensic evidence in the case. Their trial readiness “would also be contingent on whether the state would have Mark Leonard testify in the trial of Shirley,” according to court documents.
Prosecutors have said they intend to try Mark Leonard first. His attorneys told the judge earlier this month they don’t anticipate being ready for trial until April 2015.
All three suspects are expected back in court for a pre-trial hearing next week.