Propane heater bursts into flames, causes chain reaction fire

(The Republic Photo)
(The Republic Photo)

COLUMBUS, Ind. (The Republic) – Firefighters say a propane heater being used in a living room caught fire Saturday night, causing a chain reaction of propane cylinders to explode on a porch.

It happened in the 2100 block of 23rd Street in Columbus. Fire officials say an occupant in the home tried to extinguish the fire by placing blankets over the heater, but flames spread to a couch and end table.

That occupant and another individual were able to escape to the front of the house. Columbus Police Department officers who were first to respond moved the two people to a safer area, as propane tanks on the porch began to explode, 24-Hour News 8’s news partner The Republic reports.

Damages to the home are estimated at $50,000.

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus