Officials: Columbus house fire caused by child with lighter

(WISH Photo, file)
(WISH Photo, file)

COLUMBUS, Ind. (The Republic) – The Columbus Fire Department says a 5-year-old boy playing with a cigarette lighter caused $75,000 in damage during a March 17 house fire, 24-Hour News 8’s news partner The Republic reports.

It happened in the 1500th block of 19th Street. Fire officials say two adults and two children were in the home at the time of the fire. Reports indicate that one of the tenants, Michael Miller, heard the fire alarm and spotted flames in one of the bedrooms.

Fire officials say the other adult, Cheyenne Schindler, took a 3-year-old girl and the boy outside while Miller tried to extinguish the fire with a bowl of water. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus