1 dies after fire guts Santa Claus house

(Provided Photo/Indiana State Police)
(Provided Photo/Indiana State Police)

SANTA CLAUS, Ind. (AP) — State police say a fatal house fire in a southern Indiana town began when a disabled woman dropped a cigarette.

Police say 65-year-old Bryan Gregory died Friday when fire gutted his home in a gated community in Santa Claus, about 40 miles northeast of Evansville.

Gregory’s 66-year-old wife Maureen Gregory was able to escape. Police say Bryan Gregory apparently passed out from smoke inhalation as he tried to get out of the burning house.

Maureen Gregory was airlifted to a Louisville, Ky., hospital with first degree burns and smoke inhalation. Police say she’s listed in stable condition.

Investigators believe the fire was started accidentally when Maureen Gregory dropped a cigarette in the living room and was unable to bend over to pick it up.

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus