House demolition nears 6 months after deadly fire

(WISH Photo)
(WISH Photo)

NINEVEH, Ind. (AP) — The burned frame of a central Indiana house should soon be torn down six months after a fire there killed a woman and two of her young children.

House owner Ken McKee says the investigation of what caused the Nov. 22 fire in the Johnson County town of Nineveh prevented its demolition.

McKee tells the Daily Journal he expects it will be torn down in the coming weeks and that he won’t rebuild.

Investigators last month blamed the fire on a child playing with a burning candle. That blaze killed 18-month-old Hailey Lynn Slusher-Abbott and 6-month-old John Slusher-Abbott, along with their mother, 27-year-old Sirena Slusher-Abbott.

The father, Christopher Abbott, was at work when the fire started. He has said he’d like the site to become a park. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus