Curfew change questioned before its introduction

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – A proposal to change the curfew law in Indianapolis will be heard outside of city-county chambers in the hopes to encourage conversation with the community.

Councilor Jeff Miller has drafted the idea to move curfew for 15- to 17-year-olds to two hours earlier on weekends. Last year’s violent summer motivated Miller to consider the change.

“We’re had many incidents after 11 o’clock on the weekends when a large group of teenagers who eventually just gets bored and is looking for something to do. Normally, that ‘something’ isn’t good,” Miller said.

At least one member of the active anti-violence community is skeptical of the change’s success. Anthony Beverly, founder of Stop the Violence Indianapolis, Inc., said he is concerned young people will ignore the curfew and perhaps find it to be a challenge to disobey.

“I’m for anything that’s going to help, but one of the things we have to understand is we can’t make all kinds of laws and things thinking that’s going to change things,” Beverly said.

Miller said he acknowledges much more will be necessary to prevent crime in Indianapolis but that his proposal can serve as a community conversation starter.

“We want to stress this is not the only solution to the issue. This is just one of many, but it’s one that we can do. It’s one we can look at and evaluate and try. The general feeling is [that] we have to do something,” Miller said.

Tuesday’s meeting is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. in Room 102 at the Center for Leadership Development at 2425 W. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street, Indianapolis.

blog comments powered by Disqus