Grandmother attacked reacts to arrests in the case

(WISH Photo)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – One week after an east side grandmother was brutally attacked outside her home, she’s reacting to the arrests of a man and woman arrested for the crime.

Investigators say she wasn’t the only victim of an uncle and niece duo that targeted elderly women in store parking lots and at their homes.

24-Hour News 8 reported last week the story of 77-year-old JoAnn Green. Green, who is deaf, just returned home from running errands when she was attacked and robbed in her driveway. Tuesday night, we showed her the photos of those arrested.

“Yes, that is him,” Green said.

Green quickly recognized the face of 47-year-old Mark Jones. Jones was arrested Monday night along with his niece, 27-year-old Lindsey Jones. Police said the two of them terrorized and robbed elderly women.

“That’s a strange combination of relatives to be working together,” Green said.

Investigators said their crime spree started April 15. According to police reports, before attacking Green, the duo followed an 84-year-old woman home and took her purse. The next day, police said they assaulted another elderly woman and took her purse outside a Steak & Shake on East Washington Street. In both cases, police said the women weren’t seriously hurt.

“They were able to provide crucial information that led to a suspect vehicle,” said IMPD Officer Rafael Diaz.

Police were looking for that car when Green was hurt while trying to hold onto her purse.

“The problems that he has caused me that I know of and I’m sure the others; it’s monumental trying to get back your identity,” she said.

Police said the duo’s crime spree ended Monday when they robbed a fourth woman leaving an MCL restaurant. Investigators had surveillance on them and took them into custody.

In Green’s case, she thought the man needed directions, but police said if something seems suspicious–trust your instincts.

“That is a good time to either try to find someone or go some where where it’s more populated or just call 911,” Officer Diaz said.

Green said all she wants back is the letter her granddaughter gave her that was in her purse.

24-Hour News 8 checked with police to see what evidence they recovered from the suspects, but detectives aren’t saying what, if any, evidence they have to give back to the victims. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s