IFD: Unattended candle caused apartment complex fire

(WISH Photo/Joy Hernandez)
(WISH Photo/Joy Hernandez)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Fire officials said an unattended candle caused a fire at an apartment complex near 20th and Delaware on the city’s north side Monday night.

The fire started around 9:20 p.m. at 2030 N. Delaware Street. 15 Indianapolis Fire Department units were dispatched to the fire.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about 10 minutes. The apartment complex has 12 units. All 22 residents inside of the building were evacuated prior to the fire crews’ arrival.

An apartment tenant told firefighters that he was burning candles in his bedroom and then went to another area of his apartment. The candle was sitting on a table and caught nearby combustibles on fire.

The estimated damage to the building is about $75,000, according to the battalion chief.

IFD said the only apartment affected was the unit with the candle in it. On Monday night, IFD Victims Assistance was working with the Red Cross to find shelter for those victims. The rest of the residents will be able to stay in their apartments, according to firefighters.

One person was checked out by medics at the scene, but no injuries were reported, according to IFD.

The IFD wants to remind residents to never leave burning candles unattended. Make sure that combustibles such as curtains, clothing and blankets, are out of reach of any flame and never use a fan near a lit candle.

blog comments powered by Disqus