Melissa Hehmann, RD CDE, Meijer Dietitian and Healthy Living Advisor
For more information, visit www.meijerhealthyliving.com
Summer Grilling with Meijer
It’s time to fire up the grill as the weather is heating up. Meijer has easy, affordable, and healthy grilling solutions for you this season. Keep your grill healthy all summer long with these tips:
• Use lean meats. This is better for your heart and can prevent flare ups and burnt meat, which can contain carcinogens.
• Lots of Vegetables. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Use skewers, foil, or a grill pan to keep unruly veggies contained.
• Serve those lean meats and veggies with whole grains like whole grain buns, pasta, and rice.
• Grilled fruits are a great treat after dinner without all the sugar and calories of traditional desserts.
Sausage Veggie Grill
• 1 pound Meijer Chicken Sausage
• 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
• 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch slices
• 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
• 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
• 1 cup quartered fresh mushrooms
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon dried oregano
• 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
• 1 teaspoon garlic salt
• 1 teaspoon paprika
1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the oil, oregano, parsley, garlic salt and paprika. Pour over sausage mixture; toss to coat. Divide between two pieces of heavy-duty foil (about 14 in. x 12 in.). Fold foil around sausage mixture and seal tightly.
2. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 25-30 minutes. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
3. Serve over Meijer Ultimate Pasta.
Nutrition Information: 425 calories, 13g fat, 52g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 30g protein
Recipe adapted from www.TasteofHome.com
• 1 bottle Soda Water
• 1 cup Cranberry Juice
• Frozen Blueberries
• 2 limes
1. Combine Soda Water, Cranberry Juice, and the juice of 1 lime.
2. Add sliced lime from remaining lime and frozen blueberries.
Nutrition Information: 40 calories, 0g fat, 10g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g protein
Baja Shrimp Skewers
• 1 package McCormick® Grill Mates® Baja Citrus Marinade
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips
• 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips
• 1 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices
1. Combine Marinade Mix, olive oil and orange juice in small bowl. Place shrimp and vegetables in 2 separate large resealable plastic bags. Add 1/2 the marinade to each bag; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Remove shrimp and vegetables from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. Thread shrimp onto skewers.
2. Grill vegetables in a grill pan over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until tender-crisp. Grill shrimp kabobs 5 to 7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning occasionally. Remove shrimp from skewers.
3. Serve Shrimp and vegetables over Meijer Instant Brown Rice.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 280 calories, 9g fat, 36g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 14g protein
Recipe adapted from www.McCormick.com
Baja Shrimp Grilled Pita Pizzas
• 4 Whole Grain Pita Breads
• Leftover Baja Shrimp and vegetables
• Olive oil
• 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
• 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
1. Brush top of pita bread with 1 teaspoon oil. Place oiled-side down on the grill. Close lid. Grill over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until grill marks appear on the bottom of the pita bread. Carefully pita over using tongs or spatula.
2. Layer pita with 1/2 of the cheese, grilled shrimp, vegetables, remaining cheese and pineapple. Close lid. Grill 3 to 4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and pita is browned. (Check pizza often to avoid burning. Rotate pizza, if necessary.) Slide pizza onto baking sheet. Slice and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from www.McCormick.com
Nutrition Information (per serving): 385 calories, 15g fat, 43g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 22g protein