COLUMBUS, Ind (WISH) – Columbus Firefighters responded to a gas leak on Tuesday afternoon.
Crews arrived to 730 23rd Street for a gas leak. A gas line was ruptured by a post hole digger. The owner of the home was using the tool to clear an area for a patio deck.
Firefighters say a loud hissing sound was coming from the line. Vectren energy was dispatched to the scene to control the leak. The biggest concern was the safety of the home and surrounding neighbors.
Vectren and firefighters cleared the scene of any danger.
The Columbus Fire Department reminds residents to protect their home, family and neighbors by locating utility lines before digging.
No injuries or damage was reported.