I-465 closed several hours after armed robbers flee police, shots fired

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – One suspect was wounded, another was arrested and a portion of  Interstate 465 was closed following a shootout with police on the city’s west side early Tuesday.

Interstate 465 northbound, near the 11 mile marker, was closed for several hours while police collected evidence over a large area.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police say the situation began shortly before 2 a.m. with an armed robbery of a McClure Gas Station in the 5300 block of West Rockville Road. The pair made off with cash and cigarettes taken in the robbery.

Police spotted a suspicious car that matched the description of the suspect vehicle and started a chase. The pursuit went across city streets on the west side and then onto I-465.

The pursuit ended on I-465 southbound near the Sam Jones Expressway after officers used a PIT maneuver to try to get the car stopped. The suspect vehicle crashed in the area of West Washington Street and I-465.

Police say the male driver of the car was apprehended quickly, but the male passenger exited the vehicle with a gun in his hand. Shots were fired by officers and the suspect jumped the divider wall and ran across traffic on I-465 northbound. Police say once on the other side of the wall, additional shots were fired.

Police say the suspect climbed another wall before collapsing near a business in the 1800 block of South Lawndale Avenue. He was taken into custody, and police immediately began to render aid using their trauma kits. The suspect was taken to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital in serious condition. He is expected to survive his injuries.

I-465 northbound between West Washington Street and Sam Jones Expressway was closed for several hours while police investigated. Around 6:20 p.m., police said some lanes started to re-open.

Police say per standard procedure, the officers in the incident will be placed on administrative leave.

The suspects involved were identified Tuesday afternoon as Willie Morrison, 28 of Indianapolis, and Raymond Mims, 27 of Indianapolis. Mims was still at Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital recovering from injuries he sustained during the incident.

Raymond Mims (Provided Photo/IMPD)
Raymond Mims (Provided Photo/IMPD)
Willie Morrison (Provided Photo/IMPD)
Willie Morrison (Provided Photo/IMPD)

Anyone with any information about this incident is urged to call the homicide branch at 317-327-3475 or Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS (8477).  Callers may also text “INDYCS” plus tip information to 274637 (CRIMES).

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s