Man in serious condition after fall down stairs

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – A man was seriously injured Monday night after the bags he was carrying caught fire when he fell down the stairs.

It happened in the 1900 block of North Olney Street around 9:25 p.m. Fire officials were initially called to the scene on the report of an explosion.

Investigators have ruled the incident accidental and say no explosion took place. A 52-year-old man visiting the home was carrying two garbage bags of clothes down into the basement and tripped. Witnesses say the man was smoking a cigarette, which officials believe caused the bags to catch fire.

The man suffered burns to his lower legs and was taken to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital in serious condition.

Damages to the home are estimated at $100.

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus