INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — One woman escaped, but a second woman was critically injured in a house fire early Friday on the city’s southeast side.
Fire crews were called to the 2300 block of Beecher Street shortly after 4 a.m. That scene is near South Keystone and Churchman Avenue.
Firefighters say a 70-year-old woman was cooking bacon on the stove when a grease fire got out of control. She reportedly tried to put the fire out herself but the flames quickly spread.
The woman managed to get out of the burning house, but her 53-year-old sister was still asleep inside.
Fire crews arrived to heavy smoke and fought their way through heavy fire conditions to rescue the 53-year-old sleeping woman. She was taken to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition. Her injuries are believed to be related to smoke inhalation.
Damage to the home is estimated at $75,000.