INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Sweet and Savory Fruit Salad for Dad’s Special Day
Show Dad some dietary love.
Chef Wendell’s rendition of a bold, manly fruit salad from Arthur Potts Dawson’s new cookbook, “Eat Your Vegetables,” which pairs cooling cucumber, sweet melons and juicy mango with spicy jalapeno pepper. Everyone will love the contrast between the sweet and savory flavors of the sauce, made from fish sauce, mirin and Virgin olive oil. The heat is mellowed by the sweet melons and mango. Don’t like spicy? Reduce the amount of jalapeno by half. Serves this as a salad to balance the grilled foods you’re preparing for dad.
• Cucumbers are a good source of B vitamins and rehydrating water. Don’t forget to leave the skin on. It skin contains a good amount of vitamin C.
• Cucumbers contain three lignans that reduced risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer. (Natural News)
• Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish many essential nutrients, reducing the intensity of both hangover and headache.
• Watermelon contains high concentrations of lycopene.
• Watermelon is rich in electrolytes sodium and potassium
• Cantaloupe contains vitamin C and Beta carotene
• Mango’s prevent cancer, lower cholesterol, promotes good eye sight, and alkalizes your entire ecosystem.
• Jalapenos help with congestion, blood circulation,
~A little secret: Make this the night before so all the flavors have time to bloom.
~Serve in a melon half garnished with sprigs of fresh garden mint, a strawberry and a raw jalapeno half.
2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped cucumber
1 cups each diced watermelon & cantaloupe
2 cups diced fresh mango
1 tbs. raw honey
3 tbs. chopped fresh mint, plus whole leaves to garnish
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 tbs. fish sauce
1 tbs. mirin
1/3 cup olive oil
Sea Salt and ground black pepper
• In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, watermelon, mango, chopped mint and red and green chilies. Mix gently
• In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the fish sauce, honey, mirin and olive oil Drizzle over the salad, and then mix gently
• Season with salt and pepper
• Serve garnished with mint leaves and a strawberry