Indiana University Health Dr. Ruben Hernandez, Family Medicine explains how to determine a weight management plan that’s right for you with the help of your fmaily doctor.
Advice for those struggling to manage their weight:
To better manage your weight/prevent obesity:
- Know and avoid situations that trigger over eating. Try keeping a journal and write down what you eat.
- Weigh yourself. People who weigh themselves regularly are more successful in keeping off weight.
- Focus on low-calorie, nutrient-dense foods, such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Foods high in fat, sweets and alcohol should be a infrequent treat and not part of your regular diet.
- Exercise regularly. Start slow with moderate walking and increase activity over time.
- Be consistent with your healthy diet and exercise both during the week and on the weekends to see long term success.
Risks involved with obesity:
- If you’re obese, you’re more likely to develop a number of potentially serious health problems such as:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Sleep apnea