INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – It’s still Greek to me
Gr8 Health-Eat Right Now with Chef Wendell
Saturday we ‘green up’ and tweak a Mediterranean Salad classic by substituting nutritionally bogus Iceberg lettuce with Kale and bell peppers, hence increasing the Classic Greek Salad’s healing and disease preventive content. Forever we’ve used nutritionally bankrupt iceberg lettuce. But you’ve learned on this Gr8 Health segment that darker salad greens contain more sun kissed nutrition, and Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables around.
What is it about Hoosier that prevents them from enjoying life to the fullest by eating the highest quality building blocks our Temple’s needs to achieve our highest calling? Is it because our parents once erroneously told us we could eat anything and our bodies would handle it-no matter what?
WELL, that hasn’t worked out too well for an ailing, malnourished nation in need of wholesome nutrition, not manmade crapola. So, a new approach is required. Tweak your classic War Horse recipes then you won’t have to do without. This full-flavored recipe helps prevent cancer, heart disease, diabetes and obesity.
With each bite, you’ll feel healthier, happier, brighter and lighter.
Juice of one lemon, divided-Vitamin C, liver cleanse, alkaline pH
2 cloves of chopped fresh garlic-Anticancer
1 tbs. Bragg’s Apple Cider vinegar-Alkaline pH
5 tbs. extra virgin olive oil-Monounsaturated antioxidant
1 tbs. Chopped fresh oregano
Sea Salt and black pepper to taste
4 cups stemmed and shredded kale-K,A,C
1 small red onion, sliced thinly-Anticancer
1 red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, sliced thinly-A and C
1 cucumber, unpeeled, and chopped into squares-Anti-cancer and hydrating
Vine-Ripened Hoosier Tomato wedges-Lycopene and C
Handful of walnut pieces-Omega 3 EFA
2/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives
2/3 cups Feta crumbles-Protein
• Place washed, dried and shredded kale to your favorite large salad bowl.
• ‘Dribble’ with part of the lemon juice and salt. (Reserve some of the lemon Juice) Toss.
• Message the kale with your CLEAN hands to break it up and soften it a bit. About 2 minutes.
• In a small mixing bowl or blender, mix the remaining lemon juice, Bragg’s vinegar, olive oil, garlic, oregano, sea salt and pepper. Set aside.
• To the kale add the peppers, tomato, cucumbers, onion, tomato and walnuts. Toss.
• Garnish with feta crumbles and drizzle salad dressing all over the salad.