Fire at Columbus boarding house ruled accidental

(Provided Photo/Columbus Fire Department)
(Provided Photo/Columbus Fire Department)

COLUMBUS, Ind. (WISH) – Fire officials ruled a fire at a boarding house in Columbus as accidental due to electrical overload.

Firefighters responded to the 900 block of Franklin Street shortly before 7 p.m. and found the entire front of the building consumed with fire.

Fire Department Inspector Matt Noblitt said the building’s electrical service was updated from 60 amp service to 200 amp service in 1999. The building had recently passed an inspection, Noblitt said.

Each apartment in the boarding house had all the typical appliances, including refrigerators and microwave ovens and several had hotplate cooking devices too, Noblitt said.

The fire occurred because of an overload to the electrical system along with improper use of extension cords, Noblitt said.

Nobody was injured in the fire.

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s