Melissa Hehmann, RD CDE, Meijer Dietitian and Healthy Living Advisor and Annessa Chumbley assist in the preparation and explain how you can have healthier meals in your home everyday!
Grilled Italian Chicken – recipe submitted by Chris Henry from Franklin, IN
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle Italian salad dressing or home-made vinaigrette (use Light Italian dressing to reduce calories and fat)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce or soy sauce
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- In a bowl, combine salad dressing and teriyaki sauce. Tip: If you’re using bottled dressing, be sure to add the fresh garlic.
- Remove 1/4 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; add remaining marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard used marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side. Baste with reserved marinade. Grill 4-5 minutes longer on each side or until juices run clear. (Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees F.) The time for cooking will vary with the thickness of the chicken and the heat of your grill.
Nutrition (per serving): 145 calories, 4g fat, 0g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 25g protein, 235mg sodium
Garlic and Herb Chickpea Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Perfect Pinch® Salt Free Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- Mix oil, vinegar and Seasoning in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add chickpeas, cucumber, bell pepper, zucchini and onion; toss to coat well. Cover.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Information: 125 calories, 6g fat, 14g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 4g protein
Melon and Feta Salad
- 3 cups melon, such as honeydew, watermelon or your choice (peeled, seeded and cut int 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 thinly sliced scallions (green part only)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Combine the melon, feta, scallions and basil in a large bowl and toss gently to combine. Refrigerate the mixture until serving time.
- Place the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small glass jar with a lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- Just before serving, pour the vinaigrette over the melon mixture, tossing to combine. Serve immediately
Nutritional information: 296 Calories, 12g Fat, 29g Carbohydrate, 2g Fiber, Protein 10g
Source: Earthbound Farm