Show your patriotism with this DIY project: an American flag shirt customized just for you.
Molly Borter shows you how to get started! You’re going to love this DIY project. Plus, Indy Style viewers you a special deal: $5 off $25 discount code is: IndyStyle
1. Begin: Start with Supplies
We picked the tanks up from Forever 21, and the rest of these supplies are from Walmart.
- White shirt or tank top (whichever you prefer)
- Painter’s tape
- Star stickers
- A few pieces of cardboard
- Blue and red spray paint
Tip: We used regular ol’ spray paint to keep things low cost, but if you’d like, you can use fabric spray paint or fabric paint. Just be sure to read the directions for use and wash before starting!
2. Tape Up & Sticker Your Shirt
First, you’ll prep your tank by taping on your desired design. Just keep in mind whatever gets covered up by tape and stickers will turn out white in the end!
- You’re going to save the top 3rd part of the shirt for the stars
- Tape the remainder of the shirt in straight lines to become your red and white stripes
- Using the star stickers, decorate the top half of the tank (how many or how little stickers you use is up to you!)
3. Paint Red & Blue
Now you’re ready to spray!
- Place a piece of cardboard in shirt so the paint doesn’t bleed
- Cover the star section with a piece of cardboard
- Spray the stripe section red and let dry
Tip: We used a thin layer of spray to give it that airbrushed look. Just remember, the thicker the paint coat, the deeper the tank color.
- Move cardboard piece over red stripes
- Spray the star section blue and let dry
- Once fully dry, remove all stickers and tape
4. Style It!
And that’s it! You can wear it dressed up or down, but for a casual look that’ll take you from boating to BBQ, we styled it with a pair of our USA shades and cut-offs.
We recommend hand washing! Cold water and mild detergent.