Suzanne Krowiak from Indy Food Swapper shows us how making syrups can add some patriotic flavor to your Fourth of July party. Don’t be intimidated it’s easy to do and everyone will love integrating these homemade syrups into their dessert, meal or drink.
- 1 pound fruit of your choice
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Clean and chop fruit into small, uniform pieces. (peel and pit if using fruits like peaches, etc.). Set aside.
- Make a simple syrup by combining sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Simmer on low for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add fruit and lemon juice to sugar syrup. Bring to gentle boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for ten minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour entire mixture into a blender; process until smooth.
- For a thinner syrup, instead of blending, place a strainer or sieve over a large bowl. Strain all solids, pressing to extract as much syrup as possible.
Ideas for syrup:
- Pour over ice cream.
- Flavor drinks including lemonade, cocktails, etc.
- Combine with greek yogurt and make homemade popsicles.
- Add to homemade salad vinaigrettes.
- Let your imagination run wild!