Annessa Chumbley, RD, gives us a preview of what she’ll be cooking up at this weekend’s Carmel Farmer’s Market. She’ll share healthy recipes for a Farmer’s Market Frittata with Carmel Firefighter Tim Griffin join Annessa Chumbley. Then join Annessa at the Carmel Farmer’s Market this Saturday morning.
Farmer’s Market Frittata
1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
5 chicken sausage links, sliced into chunks (we LOVE this brand – Casual Gourmet Chicken Sausage Sweet Italian Style from Costco)
3 – 4 handfuls fresh spinach
6 egg whites
1 garden tomato
1/2 cup crumbled feta
handful of fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and heated to medium high, sauté bell pepper, onion, and chicken sausage links. Saute until vegetables and sausage are slightly browned or charred. Just before they finish cooking, throw in handfuls of spinach. Remove right when spinach has slightly wilted.
3. Spray a baking pan (9×13) with nonstick cooking spray liberally (the proteins in the eggs cause it to easily stick. Even if it does, it’s still delicious!!!!) Spread veggies and sausage evenly on the bottom of the pan.
4. Whisk eggs together really well. Pour into dish, and sprinkle crumbled feta on top.
5. Bake until done, about 30 minutes. Remove and let set just a few minutes.
This is a delicious and healthy way to start the day!! And, you can cut it into squares and freeze it easily. When you want a piece, just microwave a square for 20 seconds or so. I like it topped with scoops of fresh avocado. Delicious!