Farmer’s Market Vegetable and Brown Rice Salad
The magnificent, beautiful body was programed to express perfect health from the day we were born. But it needs our help.
Everyone is trying to get more whole grains into their diets. They provide infinitely more nutritional value than refined grains. They are considerably higher in fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Unfortunately, most people don’t eat enough of this nutritious food group. In fact, it’s estimated Americans are only getting 1/3 of the whole grains into their diets that they should.
This refreshing, low calorie, low fat summer grain dish bursts with color, sun blessed nutrition, antioxidant olive oil and also contains colon cleansing fiber, protein, is low in cholesterol, and high in Vitamins A, C, K. (Estimated glycemic load 28)
6 cups of cooked long grain Basmati brown rice-Fiber, manganese, and selenium
4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil-Antioxidant
4 cloves minced garlic or to taste-Anticancer
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)-Vitamin C and liver cleanse
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped small-Beta Carotene
1/4 cup chopped watercress-Anti Cancer-A superfood
2 cups spinach leaves, washed, stemmed, and chopped (to save time use prewashed baby spinach)-Calcium, anti-cancer and heart disease and diabetes
1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped small-Anti cancer, A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (scallions or chives)
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds- B-complex Vitamins
2 tbs. FRESH oregano leaf
1 tsp Sea salt and black pepper
1/2 cup cooked fresh or frozen peas-Protein & Fiber
• Boil Rice, fluff with a fork, and cool to room temperature
• In a large mixing bowl add the rice.
• Add all the garlic, vegetables, olive oil, herb and seeds
• Add the lemon juice and mix gently
• Add salt, pepper and gently toss the colorful dish.
• Cover and let salad marinate for an hour before serving, in the fridge or not, as you like.
• Garnish with black olives, toasted sunflower seeds and serve salad at room temperature or chilled.