Indiana family hoping father is alive after plane crash kills teen

PLAINFIELD, Ind. (WISH) – Family and friends are holding out hope that an Indiana father will be found alive.

Babar Suleman, 58, was on the plane that crashed with his 17-year old son, Haris, who was trying to become the youngest person to fly around the world in 30 days. The pair were on their last leg of the trip when the plane crashed after taking off from Pago Pago in American Samoa.

The Sulemans took off for their journey around the world and were scheduled to return home Saturday.

On July 22, Haris tweeted, “Pago Pago is without a doubt top 5 places I’ve been this summer :)”

Haris and his father left Pago Pago International Airport Tuesday on their way home, but minutes into their flight, something went wrong.

“The first thing that runs through your mind is nothing is the matter, it’s fine. Not a problem,” Hiba Suleman said.

But Hiba said her worst fear came true Wednesday after calling her mother to learn something happened to her 17-year-old brother and father. At a press conference at the Islamic Community Center, Suleman explained how she learned that their plane had crashed.

“They took off around 9:50 last night, at night in Soma, and around 10:15, the air traffic controller say the lights of the plane go down,” she said.

Officials said the plane crashed off the coast of American Samoa. The American Samoa Marine Patrol recovered her brother’s body, but her father is still missing.

On June 7, the pair talked to 24-Hour News 8’s Dick Wolfsie about their trip around the world.

Hiba said the family knew about the dangers. She said her father and brother even trained for the worst.

“They did prepare for the risk. They went to survival training, they took a course on how to survive an ocean landing or an ocean crash,” she said.

Hiba said words can’t describe how they feel about the loss of Haris.

“At some point you have to let it sink in,” she said.

But, they are holding on to hope and praying that Babar is found alive.

“We’re asking everybody; our community, friends, supporters, everyone to pray for his safe return,” she said.

17 year-old Haris was entering his senior year at Plainfield High School. He and his father were on a mission to better the lives of children in Pakistan. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s