N. Indiana man burned in water heater blast

(WISH Photo, file)
(WISH Photo, file)

MIDDLEBURY, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say a man has been hospitalized in northern Indiana after he was injured when a water heater exploded.

Firefighters tell WSBT-TV the man in his 20s was trying to light a water heater that had run out of gas and used too much fuel. The accident occurred about 9 a.m. Saturday in Middlebury, about 30 miles east of South Bend.

Authorities say the man suffered second and third degree burns to his face and hands.

The South Bend Tribune reports the man was flown to Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center in Mishawaka, where his condition Saturday was unknown.

The Associated Press paged a hospital official seeking additional information.

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus