INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Governor Mike Pence traveled to Washington Wednesday in the effort to win federal approval for expansion of the Healthy Indiana Plan, or HIP. He didn’t get it.
Few details of the meeting between Governor Pence and HHS Secretary Sylvia Burwell have been released but the governor issued a statement that says “differences remain” over the plan that is a Medicaid expansion by another name.
That plan, called HIP 2.0, could expand health insurance coverage to 400,000 people in Indiana. It was unveiled in May and requires federal approval.
This was the governor’s first meeting with Sylvia Burwell, but he’s talked on the phone with her previously and he met with her predecessor, Kathleen Sebelius.
There is no timeline for federal approval but the Pence Administration would like to implement the plan in early 2015.
The governor’s statement says he remains hopeful that he will win approval.
If there’s a sticking point it could be that HIP 2.0 requires a health savings account or co-pays by participants.