Man dies after house fire likely sparked by smoking in bed

(WISH Photo/Jason Thompson)
(WISH Photo/Jason Thompson)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Fire officials say one person died after a house fire that happened late Tuesday night.

The Indianapolis Fire Department was called to the home in the 1500 block of Roache Street around 10:45 p.m. Firefighters arrived and learned there was heavy fire upstairs and that there was possibly someone trapped inside.

Crews began searching the home and within minutes located a 77-year-old man in an upstairs bedroom. He was brought downstairs where emergency personnel immediately began CPR.

Officials say the man regained a pulse and was taken to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition where he later died. The man’s name has not been released.

Two women who live in the home say the man was a family friend who lived with them for 20 years. They said they were downstairs in the home when they heard the smoke alarms activate. At that time, they said they heard the man yelling for them to get out of the house because something was on fire.

Officials say the two women then evacuated the home. They think the man tried to put out the fire and was overcome by heavy smoke.

The fire is under investigation. Family members think the man may have been smoking in bed.

The Indianapolis Fire Department says this death brings the number of fire-related fatalities to 15 in the IFD Service District for 2014. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus