Child causes fire at Westfield daycare

(Provided Photo/Westfield Fire Department)
(Provided Photo/Westfield Fire Department)

WESTFIELD, Ind. (WISH) – Firefighters said a child started a kitchen fire at a Westfield daycare on Thursday evening. The daycare will now be closed on Friday for cleanup.

The Westfield Fire Department responded to a fire at Amiguitos daycare, located at 203 Jersey Street, shortly before 6 p.m. A Westfield Police Department officer also responded and made sure everyone was out of the building safely.

The officer then used a garden hose to put out the fire on the stove.

Fire officials said a child at the daycare put a plastic tray from a high chair on the kitchen stove and then turned it on. The plastic ignited and the fire spread throughout the kitchen.

The daycare owner will be contacting parents about Friday’s closure.

The police officer was treated on the scene before being transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation. The officer was treated at the hospital and has since been released. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus