“Cluttered” home catches on fire on Indy’s north side

(Provided Photo/IFD)
(Provided Photo/IFD)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Firefighters said a home filled with “excessive clutter” caught on fire Friday morning on the city’s north side.

The homeowner told firefighters she was sitting on her front porch with her 5-week-old Yorkshire Terrier puppy when she saw smoke and realized it was coming from her home. The woman grabbed her purse and evacuated while a neighbor called 911.

Firefighters arrived at the home, located at 1401 W. 33rd Street, but had trouble getting into the home because there were piles of trash inside. At some points, the trash was piled up several feet high.

(W. 33rd Street fire/ Provided Photo IFD)
(W. 33rd Street fire/ Provided Photo IFD)

Fire crews also found a full-size refrigerator blocking a doorway inside the home.

Officials said there were no working smoke detectors inside and if someone had been inside the home at the time of the fire, they would have had trouble getting out safely because of the trash that was blocking the exit paths.

With all of the clutter found in this home, the Marion County Public Board of Health encourages residents to call them at (317) 221-2150 for more information or to report an unsanitary living condition. These types of conditions can be dangerous for both the people who live there and the firefighters who are trying to fight the fire.

IFD said the cause of the fire was determined to be electrical. Damage to the home is estimated at $20,000. Officials said the homeowner does not have insurance and Red Cross is working to find a family shelter for her.

blog comments powered by Disqus