Woman painting closet hospitalized with flash burns

(WISH Photo, file)

COLUMBUS, Ind. (WISH) — A woman who was painting in her home Monday morning was taken to the hospital after the fumes caught fire.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 600 block of Lafayette Avenue around 10:40 a.m. on the report of a fire where someone was hurt. When crews arrived they found a woman who had what appeared to be flash burns.

Investigators spoke with the woman who said she was spray painting a closet in the house when the odor of the paint intensified. She said she went into another room of the home to light a candle.

After walking through the home with the candle, she returned to the closet. Officials say the lit candle caused the paint vapors to flash.

The woman was taken to a local hospital in an unknown condition. Investigators say because the closet was such a confined space, it didn’t allow the vapors from the paint to dissipate, which was a factor in the fire.

Firefighters want to remind residents that paint vapors can be extremely flammable and should be considered as a respiratory hazard. When working in a confined space, residents are urged to use a form of ventilation as well as respiratory protection.

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s