INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Firefighters in Indianapolis rescued a dog when a fire started in a home on Tuesday.
Indianapolis Fire Department was dispatched to the 7300 block of Sandalwood Drive at 2:55 p.m. for smoke and fire showing from the home.
The dog, a 10-year-old pit bull – terrier mix named Rocky was asleep in the bedroom where the fire started. The dog was unresponsive when firefighters extracted him from the home.
Firefighter Matt Heithoff, attempted to intubate the dog, but was unsuccessful. However, the attempt caused Rocky to release the ‘sooty fluid’ inside its lungs. Afterwards the dog began to breathe again.
Rocky was taken to a nearby veterinarian for extra care.
No one was home at the time of the fire.
Damage to the home was estimated at $40,000