Donny Duke is the director of design with Engledow Estates, a high-end landscaping firm. Today he is going to be discussing proper lawn care techniques.Summer is in full swing and many people are struggling to keep their lawn looking green and full.
Simple tips to use while mowing your grass to keep it looking healthy:
- Don’t cut your grass too short. Remove no more than 1/3rd of the height each mowing.
- Keeps grass more heat and drought tolerant. Taller grass helps to shade out weeds and improve moisture retention.
- Mulch, don’t bag, your grass clippings.
- Clippings will break down and reintroduce nitrogen into your lawn.
- Keep mower blades sharp.
- Sharp blades “cut” the grass, while dull blades “tears” the grass. Dull blades lead to browning of grass and makes grass more susceptible to bugs and disease.
- Healthy lawns need proper irrigation practices.