College Students are back in class but do they have renter’s insurance to protect them. Casey Dehmer, Local Allstate Insurance Agent has the facts you need to consider plus tips to keep your students belongings safe.
How college students can keep track of his or her belongings:
- Create an inventory. Take pictures of your valuables (and their serial numbers) so they can be referenced later in case a claim needs to be made.
- Lock your dorm room door whenever you leave.This may be the single most important rule. An open door with a laptop or other items sitting out on a desk is an open invitation.
- Don’t leave expensive items out in the open. Don’t leave your personal property unattended in study areas, cafeterias, libraries, or visible in your car.
Having a room-by-room inventory of personal belongings can save a lot of headaches – or heartaches – should you need to make a claim:
- The free Allstate Digital Locker® app allows people to keep an inventory of all their personal property – organized and accessible at a moment’s notice – on a smart phone or any internet-connected computer.
- Include with any picture or video home inventory list, a detailed, written account of what you own. Be specific in your written inventory. Whenever possible include make, model, serial numbers, receipts, and date of purchase for all items in your home inventory.
- Make sure your home inventory list includes photographs or video of your belongings. Focus on individual items in each room. Take additional video of smaller items like jewelry, silver, and related valuables or keepsakes.