When it’s hot as blazes, the last thing you want to do is hover over a hot stove cooking something. Here’s an easy, highly nutritious, colorful summer salad that will slake your hunger while boosting your health.
• Fibrous beets, peaches, apples and carrots contain a constellation of heavenly vitamins that can prevent various types of cancer and many chronic diseases.
• Beets are a terrific liver refresher. As you know, the liver purifies your blood like an automobile oil filter.
• Beets were served in outer space when Apollo 18 astronauts met up with their Soyuz 19 brethren. No surprise since beets brim with potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron; vitamins A, B & C; beta-carotene, beta-cyanine and folic acid.
• Ancient Romans used them as an aphrodisiac. And that’s no urban legend since beets contain lots of boron, directly related to sex hormone production.
• Peaches and carrots slow down aging and are enriched with flavonoids lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta cryptoxanthin which protects from free radical damage. These compounds also nourish and clear your skin, making your largest organ glow in natural ways by curing wrinkles.
1 medium beet, peeled
2 medium carrots, unpeeled-Beta Carotene and cancer protection
3 Tbsp. unpeeled Granny Smith’s-Pectin, fiber
2 ripe but firm peaches-Flavonoids
¼ cups chopped raw walnuts-omega 3
3 Tbsp. chopped parsley or dill-Anti-cancer
1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice-Vitamin C and liver cleanse
½ tsp. Himalayan salt-Trace minerals
Black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. raw honey
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil-Monounsaturated fat and antioxidant
• To shred beet, insert each hand in plastic sandwich bag to avoid staining hands. Peel beet using swivel blade vegetable peeler. Using coarse side of box grater, or your food processer, shred beet to get 3/4 cup. Save remaining beet for a smoothie. Shred carrots and apple. Place shredded beets, carrots and apple in mixing bowl and mix to combine. Add walnuts and green herbs on top of mixed vegetables, and set bowl aside.
• Wash the peach thoroughly. Cut in in half, remove the stone, and cut each half into 3rds. Reserve.
• For dressing, in small bowl whisk together lemon juice and salt until salt dissolves. Add 3-4 grinds of pepper and raw honey. Whisk in oil.
• Drizzle dressing over salad and mix until well combined and evenly dressed.
• Serve salad within 1 hour of combining with herbs and dressing.
• Garnish the salad with the peach wedges for eye popping color and nutrition.