PENDLETON, Ind. (WISH) — Indiana State Police report all state roads and interstates in their Pendleton District have reopened after heavy rains and flooding shut many of them down.
Police would still like to remind people that flash flooding can occur even just a few minutes after heavy rainfall. Officers have provided the following safety tips:
- If you find yourself stranded in water, act fast.
- Get yourself and everyone in your vehicle out of their seatbelt and out a window onto the roof of the car.
- Remember; call 9-1-1 AFTER you reach the top of your vehicle.
- Indiana State Police divers advise to only swim for it if you absolutely have to, and don’t swim against the current.
- Make sure you’re a survivor, NOT a victim.
For more information, including a video on escaping a car crash in water, click here.
For current road closures and conditions visit INDOT’s website here.