Parents charged after son’s carbon monoxide death

Darrick W. Spore (left) and Candy S. Chamness (right) (Provided Photos/Kosciusko County Sheriff's Department)

SYRACUSE, Ind. (WANE) — The parents of a 12-year-old who was found dead hours after he died of carbon monoxide poisoning have been charged in Kosciusko County.

Darrick W. Spore, 34, and Candy S. Chamness, 34, both of Syracuse were charged with neglect of a dependent and reckless homicide, according to the affidavit for probable cause.

On June 28, police were called to the 200 block of West Washington Street in Syracuse on a subject not breathing. Court documents said while police were responding, dispatch received a call that people inside the house were manufacturing methamphetamine and had two generators running.

Police arrived and found Skyler Spore in an upstairs bedroom dead. Police said both Spore and Chamness, the parents of the child, tested positive for methamphetamine in their system when their son died.

According to court documents, electricity had been disconnected and the parents placed generators in the basement and inside the porch area. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s