Woman in critical condition after north side fire

(Provided Photo/Indianapolis Fire Department)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A woman was taken to the hospital Friday morning after a fire on the north side of Indianapolis.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 6500 block of Caroline Avenue around 7:30 a.m. This is near East 65th Street and North Keystone Avenue.

When crews arrived they spoke with a man who said he lived there with his wife. He said when he was cooking breakfast he heard a loud pop and then saw smoke. The man said he and his wife evacuated, got into their car, and backed out the driveway.

The man said he tried to go back in the house but the smoke was too thick. He said when he got back to the car his wife’s condition had deteriorated. Emergency personnel transported her to a local hospital in critical condition.

The man told firefighters he thinks the fire started in a bedroom that had a working oxygen tank plugged in. He thinks the fire was electrical and started near an outlet, but crews are investigating.

Damages are estimated at $85,000. Officials say there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

WISHTV.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s