Most chilies are highly personalized creations. People work very hard for many years to perfect their chili recipes. Whether you’re beginning to create your chili, or you’re just looking to tweak a favorite recipe, here are a few tips to help you create your best pot of chili.
- If chili is too thick, use broth to dilute – chicken or beef work great. Do not use water it dilutes the flavor of your chili.
- If chili is to thin, add a tablespoon of Red Gold Tomato Paste. Also a tablespoon of instant mashed potatoes works very well to thicken chili.
- Cook meat first. Brown ground meats before adding liquids. Brown chunks of meat on the outside before assembling chili. This will lock in the flavor of the meat and reduces the overall cooking time.
- Use fresh vegetables. Don’t use vegetables that have been in your refrigerator for a while and don’t use canned vegetables. Take time to buy fresh chilies and other vegetable for your chili. You can surely taste the difference
- Experiment and have fun! Why not invite a group of friends over to share your chili creation. If you are still looking for ways to perfect your chili, ask them for suggestions. Whatever you do, enjoy your chili and smile!
- Enter your creation into the Red Gold Chili Cook-Off and win $500 on October 11, 2014. Just go to www.redgoldchilicookoff.com to enter your favorite chili recipe. Must enter before October 1, 2014 for a change to win the big prize.
For more Recipes and Tips visit www.redgoldtomatoes.com .
OUR FAMILY’S FAVORITE CHILI
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 (46 ounce) can RED GOLD® FRESH SQUEEZED TOMATO JUICE or your own brand
1 (15 ounce) can RED GOLD® TOMATO SAUCE
1 (14.5 ounce) can RED GOLD® DICED TOMATOES CHILI READY
2 (15.5 ounce) cans RED GOLD® CHILI HOT BEANS IN CHILI GRAVY
2 tablespoons chili powder
¼ teaspoon red pepper
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large soup kettle brown ground beef and onion; drain well. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve with cheese and crackers.
- Option: Add 1 cup cooked macaroni when chili is ready to serve.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS PER SERVING
Calories 300, Fat 10g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 70mg, Sodium 1090mg, Carbohydrate 26g, Fiber 6g, Protein 26g,
Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 100%, Calcium 6%, Iron 30%