INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Chef Wendell makes a good tasting, good for you snack.
Eating the right foods can help your immune system.
Chef Wendell shows us an easy recipe for this homemade granola.
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (Instant oats are nutritionally inferior)
- 1 cup sliced almonds (or nut of choice)
- 3 tbs. ground flax or chia seeds
- 1 cup dried fruit
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- ½ cup sugar-free applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey, plus additional sweetener
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients oats, almonds, and salt and stir to mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients apple sauce, maple syrup /honey, and stir with a whisk to mix well.’
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until wet mixture is evenly distributed.
- Pour granola mixture evenly onto prepared baking sheet and spread to an even layer.
- Bake, stirring every 15 minutes for 45-60 minutes, or until granola is browned to preference.
- Remove from oven cool. (If you bake the fruit, it will get hard as rock)
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Now add the dried fruit and ground flax /chia seed. Mix again. (Bag and freeze.)
- Serve with yogurt, almond or coconut milk.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Serves 6-8 depending on how large your serving sizes are.
Note: Feel free to add blueberries, goji berries, chopped apples or yogurt.