INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A family of four got out of a house safely Monday morning when smoke started coming through registers in the ceiling.
The fire started around 5:30 a.m. in the 6300 block of Shelbyville Road, just southeast of Arlington Avenue, Lt. Dean Johnson from the Indianapolis Fire Department said. Firefighters got the fire under control in about an hour.
A man who lives in the house was getting up for the morning when he said he heard a sound come from the attic. He noticed the smoke shortly after and got his family out of the house. Then, he called 911.
Johnson said the fire started in the attic, but fire investigators weren’t immediately sure how it started. The fire then spread through the attic for the length of the home.
One firefighter was taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital complaining of neck pain.
Shelbyville Road was shut down while firefighters battled the fire.