Cooking holiday meals can be dangerous


INDIANAPOLIS (WISH)  – The odds of sparking a fire go way up on Thanksgiving day.

According to the American Red Cross, cooking is the leading cause of house fires on Thanksgiving, occurring more than twice as often as any other day.

Indiana Fire Marshal Jim Greeson says there are simple steps you can take to avoid potential problems.

“Make sure your oven is clean, so there’s no residual grease from previously cooked meals.”

“If you do have a fire in the oven, keep the oven door shut, turn the oven off, call the fire department,” he says.

Greeson also says it’s a good idea to keep guests away from the stove.

“The kids aren’t playing in the kitchen. The pets aren’t running through the kitchen. You’re not wearing loose-fitting clothes that may hang over and catch fire.”

Keep the handles of your pots and pans over the stove, over the unheated area of the stove,” he says.

And if you are frying your turkey, make sure you do so outside, on a level surface, away from overhangs.

The most important thing you can do, says Greeson, is make sure you have a working smoke detector in the house.

Smoke detectors cut the chance of dying in a fire nearly in half. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus