INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Here’s a colorful, unique edible holiday dining table centerpiece that can also prevent cancer.
Encouraging food news you can use: low calorie Cauliflower is a highly nutritious cruciferous vegetables like cabbage and broccoli. A high intake of cruciferous vegetables is associated with a lower risk of some cancers. Researchers believe the combination of cruciferous vegetables and golden turmeric (curcumin) could be an effective therapy to prevent prostate cancer and to inhibit the spread of established prostate cancers and many of today’s largely preventable diseases.
• Data from the Nurses’ Health Study and the Health Professionals’ Follow-up Study showed women who ate more than 5 servings of cruciferous vegetables per week had a lower risk of lung cancer
• Glucosinolates that give cauliflower its pungent smell and flavor activate the body’s detoxification system.
• Cauliflower contains Potassium, an essential dietary mineral. Normal body functions, including regular heart beats and proper body hydration depend on proper potassium.
• Cauliflower has a high amount of vitamin C. One cup of raw cauliflower contains 52 mg. In comparison, a medium orange contains 64 mg.
Dr. Andrew Weil says turmeric / curcumin alone, is not very well absorbed into your GI tract. Although, according to Men’s Health, curcumin’s ‘bioavailability” increases 1000 X when paired with black pepper.
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 head cauliflower washed and pat dry
1½ cups plain Greek yogurt
1 lime, zest and juiced
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. Himalayan salt
1 tsp. black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly grease a small baking sheet with coconut oil. Set aside.
• Trim the base to remove any green leaves and the stem.
• In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the lime zest and juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper.
• Dunk the cauliflower into the bowl and use a brush or your hands to smear the marinade evenly over its surface.
• Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the surface is dry and lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes. The marinade will make a crust on the surface of the cauliflower.
• Let cauliflower cool before cutting it into wedges and serving alongside a protein and a dark leafy green garden salad.