The Produce Mom shares easy and festive recipes for holiday entertaining. You can find these ideas and more on www.theproducemom.com.
• 1lb California strawberries, washed
• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature*
• 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• mini chocolate chips, to decorate
1. On a cutting board, slice the stem off the strawberry (try to cut it as “flat” as possible since the Santa-berries will use that as a base).
2. Cut the top third of the strawberry, this will be used as the “hat”.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, honey or powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mixture will be thick so it’s best that the cream cheese really is at room temperature.
4. Place creamed mixture inside a zip bag (or a piping bag) and snip one corner off. Make this first cut a bit larger since you are filling the “faces” first.
5. Top strawberry base with cream mixture, top with the strawberry hats, and squeeze additional mixture on top of the hat.
6. Next, snip the opposite corner or the bag (or change your piping tip) and make a smaller opening. Use this end to decorate “Santa’s” jacket buttons.
7. Use mini chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles to decorate Santa’s eyes. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Dutch Yellow Potato Appetizers:
Recipe from Melissa’s Produce (Melissas.com)
Twitter = @MelissasProduce
• 1 bag Baby Dutch Yellow® Potatoes (DYP’s)
• 1 container Hummous
Boil DYP’s in salted water until fork tender.
Do not overcook potatoes.
Cool, cut top third off of potato and just enough off of the bottom so that it can stand upright.
Scoop out insides without collapsing the sides.
Put Hummus into a piping bag fitted with a fluted tip and pipe hummus into cavity.
Holiday Catering Options from the Produce Mom Picks Menu at McAlister’s Deli
These are named after my husband, Chip. We actually fight over who thought of the recipe… I’ll let him have the glory.”
5lbs Yellow potatoes, peeled & diced
1 qt heavy cream
1 stick butter
2 qt sodium-free chicken stock
Salt & pepper, to taste
Put potatoes, cream, butter & stock in a large stock pot. Over Medium heat, bring potatoes to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to Medium Low & let potatoes simmer for another 15-30 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain cooking liquid, reserve 2 cup. Using a hand mixer, mash the potatoes until smooth. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
McAlister’s Catering information follows:
twitter = @McAlistersIN
Website = IN.McAlistersDeli.com
The Produce Mom Picks Menu & Rewards Program is active at all McAlister’s Delis in Indiana.