INDIANAPOLIS (WLFI) – Gov. Mike Pence announced Tuesday that Indiana communities have received more than $4.6 million in federal grants so far to help recover from January’s winter storm.
In all, 30 counties were granted federal public assistance and/or snow assistance, including Allen, Blackford, Boone, Clay, Clinton, Fulton, Hamilton, Hendricks, Huntington, Jasper, Johnson, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Lake, Madison, Marion, Montgomery, Morgan, Newton, Noble, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, Tipton, Vigo, Wabash, White and Whitley.
Pence said funds will go towards local, county and state government and other organizations that provide public services.
“More than $4.6 million in disaster grants is positive news that will help to bring relief across the state,” Pence told News 18 in a release. “Like many states, almost a year ago Indiana started 2014 with a severe winter storm. While that storm is for many a distant memory, we at the state continue to work through this demanding process to make the most of the disaster funding opportunities available to communities in those 30 counties.”
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security the Federal Emergency Management Agency have been working to distribute the funds. To date, $4,678,144.81 has been processed for applicants in the eligible counties. Officials said more money will be distributed as applications are processed.