Katy Mann has tips on how you can keep your kids active this winter.
The cool thing is, you can enjoy all of these things as a family.”
Goldfish Swim School – www.goldfishswimschool.com
• Fun – and warm – place to swim this winter. Goldfish offers lessons and open swims for kids 4-months to 12-years old.
• With one location already in Carmel, Goldfish is opening a second location in Fishers TODAY (Jan. 19). Both locations have free open swim times today from noon – 2 p.m.
• Family swim time is offered every Friday from 6:30 – 8 for only $5 ($15 family maximum)
• Members can take advantage of additional swim times, in addition to lessons, from 1 – 2 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Incrediplex – http://www.incrediplex.com/
• Located on Sunnyside near Pendleton Pike, recommended for age 5 and up.
• They have arcade games, bowling, a rock-climbing wall, a bungee jump, inflatables and an obstacle course.
• There is a $5 admission fee for ages 3 and up. You get a $5 arcade game card. Fees for other attractions vary and there are daily specials.
• It’s a great place for active birthday parties.
• They also have recreational sports leagues for basketball, soccer and other sports. Call for more information.
Laser Tag – http://www.laser-flash.com
• Laser tag is suitable for ages 7 and up.
• Kids (and parents) go into a laser tag arena, with theatrical fog and strobe lights, to compete against other players.
• The vest and gun are provided by Laser Flash in Carmel, which is open seven days a week.
• Other great arenas are at Xsite in Castleton and Laser Storm off of Emerson Avenue on the south side.
Roller Skating – https://vitalskates.com
• Thanks to the growing popularity in roller derby, roller skating is gaining in popularity again. There are more than half a dozen places in Indianapolis to go skating.
• Skateland Indianapolis offers a Learn to Skate Class on Saturdays from 10 – 11 a.m. for all ages.
• They also have a Saturday Kids Fun Skate and Family Skate times on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
• Admission ranges from $4 – $7 plus skate rental.
• Want to thank Vital Skates in Fountain Square for providing the skates today. (They provide most of the skates for the roller derby teams)
Outdoor Hikes and Activities – www.fishers.in.us/parks
• Most of the Indy-area parks offer outdoor hikes – even in the winter.
• One fun one coming up is the Heart Hike at Ritchey Woods Nature Preserve in Fishers on Feb. 6 and 7. It is free and no registration is required.
• Families can go on a photo scavenger hunt to find all the ways Mother Nature creates art in leaves, clouds, rocks and more.
• The campfire will be going at the shelter to keep everyone warm during breaks.