INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – Indianapolis Fire Department says that children playing might have been the cause of a fire that put a family out of their home Sunday afternoon.
IFD responded to a working residence fire at 2:49 p.m. at the 11000 block of Shannon Pointe Road.
According to IFD, a family of four lived in the home, along with several pets.
The mother living there told fire crews that one of her children was jumping on a bed in the bedroom and accidentally knocked over a nearby candle, causing the mattress to catch fire. The fire quickly grew out of control and the family evacuated the home.
A snake, a cat and three dogs are accounted for and okay. One dog is still unaccounted for after the fire.
Fire crews quickly worked on putting the blaze out, but were delayed when a family member arrived to the location 15 minutes into the fire and tried to enter the burning house.
Police were called to the scene to stop and counsel the family member.
No injuries were reported.